Friday, October 1, 2010

Che Guevara

If there is one person you should know when moving to Argentina, it’s Ernesto “Che” Guevara. His name is often used in political conversations, reflections on history and as a term of endearment between friends. Even just the term “Che” has become slang for “buddy” or “dude” down here. I liked the movie “Motorcycle Diaries” enough to own it and in turn thought I knew Che Guevara – I was wrong.

Motorcycle Che rode through South America

During our “family vacation” to Cordoba in July, we all took a short bus trip outside of the city to visit Che’s house in Alta Gracia. This house (now museum) is allegedly where Che grew up, but many places claim to own a piece of Che’s life. Rosario claims his birth, Alta Gracia claims his childhood, Bolivia claims his death and Cuba claims his remains…and heart. Most of South America holds a piece of his revolutionary spirit and legacy.

Samm and Jake entering Che's house

I am not going to write a history lesson on this revolutionary Marxist and his guerilla warfare, because I truthfully don’t know enough about him to do it justice. But I will write about how being in his house, looking at his pictures, standing next to his motorcycle and reading translations of his letters to family and Fidel Castro made me feel. Enlightened yet ignorant. Empowered yet insignificant. Mesmerized, motivated and suddenly completely confused about my own political beliefs.

I left Che Guevara’s house with the desire to fight for something. I don’t know what I want to fight for and don’t really even know what I want to do with my life, but I guess I have time to figure that out. Even Che changed his “profession” many times before finding his passion and place in history. Though I may not agree with all of Che’s political statements and tactics, I found his steadfast commitment and unwavering fight for change inspiring. Unfortunately, he wasn't very good at growing a full beard!

Che in his younger (more attractive) years

Please don’t let this post worry you that I’m going to come back a Marxist or some anti-imperialism radical. I am not; but I will say that I am certainly not returning to the United States of America with the same political views I had when I left. Though I guess that’s to be expected from an expat who spends a year (or so) on the outside looking in before eventually finding the way home.

hanging out with little, bronze Che

the clothes off his back

powerful letter written to Fidel (translated into English)

"...always be capable of feeling deeply any injustice committed against anyone anywhere in the world. It is the most beautiful quality of a revolutionary."
- a letter to his children, Oct. 1966

No comments:

Post a Comment