Thursday, May 6, 2010

Cementerio de la Recoleta

This cemetery/tourist attraction is where Eva Perón and generations of the Argentine elite immortalize their social status with marble mausoleums and elaborate statues.

The layout is similar to a that of a city. Large mausoleums line the street-style walkways like historic city buildings.

I found myself curious about many lives represented along the streets of Cementerio de la Recoleta. Who was this person? What kind of life did he/she live to afford real estate in the most expensive part of Buenos Aires? What would this statue mean to him/her?

A saying about this cemetery: "It is cheaper to live extravagantly all your life than to be buried in Recoleta."

Evita's family mausoleum with her plaque on the bottom right.

Flower child buried in the 70's that reminded me of my friend, Devon. It's an odd feeling to have a connection to a stranger's burial plot in a foreign country, but I felt like I knew this girl.

A large number of freakishly healthy feral cats call Cementerio de la Recoleta home.

No comments:

Post a Comment