Wednesday, May 12, 2010

“It’s probably closed"

I am constantly surprised by the work ethic here in Argentina…or really the lack of work ethic. I’ve become somewhat of a regular at a few restaurants, cafés and shops in my neighborhood, and I’ve learned through multiple visits, often at similar times, that business hours are merely a rough guideline here. Businesses close when the owners/workers feel like closing, and they could care less how their patrons feel about it.

Kelly and I recently walked to a local restaurant that we love (solely for the cheap empanadas) – only to find it had closed at 7 p.m. I looked at Kelly with disbelief. Had we not eaten here at 10 p.m. a couple nights ago? Why would they be open late on Wednesday and not Friday? Kelly’s response was “eh, it’s Argentina.” So I’ve come to rely on the unreliability of local businesses.

Kelly and I often say to each other:
“It’s late; it’s probably closed.”
“It’s early; it’s probably closed.”
“It’s Monday; it’s probably closed.”
“It’s raining; it’s probably closed.”

And then there are those that close in the middle of the day:
…even the cat looks confused
(cerrado = closed / abrimos = we open)

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Meredith
    I spoke with your mom earlier today and she told me about your blog. I have traveled through Europe and felt the same way--(but I think I've come to believe now that we in America are the crazy ones--they know how to have lives and enjoy instead of working incessantly like we do!) I'll enjoy learning more about Argentina from your blog.

    sue smith

    ReplyDelete